Course offered by: BCA, Athens
The course is designed for mature students with a professional experience that seek an in-depth education and knowledge development on the fast developing global shipping sector. It combines a thorough understanding of the theoretical concepts of business along with shipping case studies and practical applications.
The BSc Maritime Studies is designed carefully to support students in their effort to boost their career in shipping business organisations. The course is designed for mature students with a professional experience that seek an in-depth education and knowledge development focusing on the global shipping sector. The course also seeks to prepare students for further academic studies (e.g. MBA, MSc).
1st semester (October entry) – 2nd semester (February entry)
BCA Glyfada Campus
Advantages of the programme:
- The BSc Maritime Studies programme focuses on the need of shipping business practitioners to acquire a structured academic knowledge of the industry in order to enhance and develop their careers.
- Increased focus on employability: The BSc Maritime Studies course enhances the participants’ business skills focusing on shipping fields with immediate business application.
- Professional Qualifications: the programme has strong links and a signed memorandum with Germanisher Lloyds for the provision of certified training courses required from shoreside personnel in shipping. Thus student employability increases.
Guest Lecturers: The BSc Maritime Studies enhances the participants’ educational experience through lectures from practitioners, participants have the opportunity to learn how academic shipping concepts produce real business results.
Prospective students should have a degree, an HND or equivalent qualification (i.e. naval academy qualification), plus at least two years of relevant work experience. Exceptionally, applicants without these qualifications are admitted if they have a significant work experience at a senior level in a shipping organisation. Applicants in this category would not normally be less than 28 years of age. Applications from mature students are considered on an individual basis. All applicants must be at least 23 years old.Admissions to the course will be determined by the Programme Manager who will require evidence to support applications (e.g., academic transcript, degree certificate etc.).
Those who wish to attend in English should also submit one of the following certifications:
IELTS: a minimum score of 6.0 (with a minimum score of 5.5 in each component of the test)
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): Grade C and above
Cambridge Advanced Certificate in English: B2 level and above
Michigan Proficiency (ECPE): P (Pass) and above
Pearson Academic: 56 (with a minimum score of 56 in each component of the test)
BCA IELTS Placement Test : a minimum score of 6.0 (with a minimum score of 5.5 in each component of the test)
Philosophy and Aims
- Provide advanced understanding of the diverse subjects, which comprise the shipping industry.
- Develop applicable business skills on specific shipping business areas.
- Enable participants to make decision-making processes in the shipping sector from a management perspective.
- Develop the skills of critical analysis and apply them in shipping business cases and problems.